Author Topic: Kay Boyle - My 91 Year Old Mom  (Read 1773 times)

pwalter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Kay Boyle - My 91 Year Old Mom
« on: July 27, 2013, 05:20:11 AM »
My Mom is in the Solana Alzheimer's Unit at Marietta Rehab in Marietta, OH.  I moved her there on January 1, 2013 after she lived 4 years at the Pines - an assisted living facility at Glenwood in Marietta Oh.  Moving into an Alzheimer's unit was a big change after having her own little apartment at the Pines. 

Mom was no longer able to take care of herself by dressing, getting in and out of bed or even remembering to eat.  The Pines was great to keep her an extended time assisting her since they like my Mom.

She has really gone downhill since her move to the Solana.  She remembers us, but not a lot else unless you remind her.  She is wheelchair bound and can't even turn over in bed herself.  Her hands shake so that they normally feed her.  It is sad to watch a person deteriorate so, but we continue to support her and give her love.  Her care at the Solana is excellent.  She spent 2 1/2 years before the assisted living facility and that care was not great.  It was OK, but she did not need a lot of care.

She originally fell in her bathroom about 7 years ago.  She was on a ventilator for 14 days to save her from the terrible pneumonia she developed.  The ventilator left her extremely weak and she could not even feed herself, so she had to move into a nursing home.  I have back and heart problems and can't lift her.  She is small at 100 pounds, but still difficult to move dead weight.

Mom started to get well and about 2 months after arriving at the nursing home, fell again.  The aids were not helping her get out of bed.  They were talking and she hit the wall and floor.  Of course the aids said Mom decided not to transfer out of bed - well she wanted to go to the bathroom and they were busy talking.  That fall resulted in being on a ventilator again for 7 days.  She was removed and then actually flatlined and died - but her heart started again on it's own.  So she went back on the ventilator again for 7 days.  When she came off, she returned to the nursing home.

Slowly she began to recover and used a walked to move around.  She was still mentally aware and could play bingo, talk and enjoy life. She could never get along with her roommates and ended up being asked to leave the first nursing home after several roommates.  My Mom has always been bi-polar and very depressed.  She was on a lot of meds.  So I found another nursing home where she stayed for 1 year before she was asked to leave due to roommate problems.

I was lucky that the assisted living facility said they would give her a try. The only problem as that I had to pay $1500 a month with her social security and VA pension.  That was very difficult for me and I went thru all my savings.  Finally I was going to move her to a nursing home because she would go back on Medicaid for that, but the assisted living facility was in the process of accepting Medicaid.  I was very luck and so was Mom   :)  She was able to stay for another 2 years.

She gradually went downhill.  She did less, was able to peddle around in her wheelchair and not able to dress herself any longer.  It was gradual and the staff really liked my Mom. Since she did not have a roommate, she got along really well.

We agreed to move her on Jan 1 of 2013.  So another new chapter of Mom's life has started.  Really about the saddest chapter since she is deteriorating to the point that I don't think she hardly enjoys anything.  She does participate in their activities when she feels well enough which is good for her.  The staff is very nice and they don't change much which is helpful to the patients.

Pat

pwalter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Kay Boyle - My 91 Year Old Mom
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 03:08:28 PM »
My Mom was 95 on April 23, 2017.  She enjoyed her 3 piece fish dinner, her favorite, cheese, cheese cake and a big Coke.  It was a nice day for her and me.  She is now in an Alzheimer's Unit at the Genesis Marietta Center, OH.  She has been there 4 1/2 years and gets great care and still enjoys life.